The Virginia Department of Transportation recently held a seminar to update citizens on the important facts of transportation funding. To summarize:
– The current highway infrastructure is aging and needs constant repair.
– That being said, Virginia does not have the money to keep up with maintenance standards.
– Currently, highway maintenance funds require 51% of the VDOT budget.
– Construction funds make up 30% of the VDOT budget. This small percentage is not large enough to address the Commonwealth’s construction needs.
– Each year, millions of dollars are transferred over from the Construction Fund to help provide for the Maintenance Fund.
– “Without additional funding, VDOT cannot continue to provide the current scope of services and the new construction needed.”
To find a copy of the entire power point, click here.
For questions, concerns, or suggestions, please leave your comments below or contact Delegate Dave Albo at 703-451-3555.