Governor McDonnell announced that starting December 12, electronic message signs will display travel times along I-95 between Washington D.C. and Fredericksburg. This is being installed to allow motorists to re-assess their driving routes in order to avoid getting stuck in traffic.
These signs will be located at seven locations, three northbound and four southbound.
The northbound signs will be located at:
- Route 234 with travel time to the Beltway/I-495
- Route 123 with travel time to the Beltway/I-495
- Fairfax County Parkway with travel time to the DC line
The southbound signs will be located:
- Near the Pentagon with travel time to the Beltway/I-495
- Prior to the Beltway with travel time to Route 123
- Near the Fairfax County Parkway with travel time to Route 234
- Near Lorton with travel time to Route 3 in Fredericksburg
These times will be displayed between 9 am to 5 pm on weekdays, and 8 am to 8 pm on weekends.
VDOT hopes to expand this project to include more locations, ultimately appearing throughout the state.