This week we made it to crossover in the General Assembly. I’m pleased to report that my following bills passed the House:
- HB 1503: Driving after forfeiture of license; blood alcohol content.
- HB 1635: Defamation, Statute of Limitations for Suits on the Internet.
- HB 1445: Medical Marijuana for Epilepsy.
- HB 1499: Right to breast-feed in public places.
- HB 1469: Marriage certificates; listing parties as spouse, bride, or groom.
- HB 1628: Virginia Public Procurement Act; contract modification.
- HB 1439: Alcoholic beverage control; regulations.
- HB 1440: Alcoholic beverage control; ABC Board markups.
- HB 1776: Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority; eliminates ABC Board.
- HJ 537: Drug trafficking; interstate cooperation.
Highlights of the Week
Republican Crossover Speech
I was asked to participate in the Republican Crossover press conference. Here is a segment of my speech:
“House Republicans led efforts this year to make state government work more efficiently. Our ABC reorganization bill structures the Alcoholic Beverage Control more like a business, with more accountability and less political influence. House Bill 1887 reforms the way we fund transportation, making the funding more transparent and responsive to local needs. And we passed legislation that prevents state agencies from spending beyond their means with IOUs or debt that bypasses General Assembly approval. The result of these policies is a more accountable, efficient state government.”
After giving our presentation to the Senate Courts of Justice committee, Andi Geloo and I stepped outside to discuss House Bill 1635. I am happy to say that our hard work is paying off. The bill passed the committee and is now being read on the Senate floor.
On Tuesday, I was photographed during one of my many speeches on the House floor. I still look forward to these moments after 21 years of service! The legislative process never fails to excite me.
In case you have not read my 2015 Session Crossover letter yet, here is the link: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/36ccf7936aeb7c78af6449937/files/Crossover_Online_Final_Version.pdf
As always, my staff and I are here in Richmond to serve you. We want to hear what you think about the legislation pending before the House, or if there’s anything we can do to help you in dealing with a state government agency. My office can be reached at (804) 698-1042 or via email at DelDAlbo@house.virginia.gov. If you are planning to visit Richmond during Session, I encourage you to visit me in General Assembly building room 529.