As the General Assembly’s 2015 session comes to a close, I would like to share some exciting news with you. On February 26, the General Assembly passed amendments to improve the Commonwealth’s current two-year budget. And we did this 2 days early!
Here are a few important points from the agreement:
- Budget does not raise taxes
- Eliminates $33 million in debt proposed by Governor McAuliffe
- Sets aside $129.5 million for a rainy-day fund deposit in 2017
- Eliminates $11.7 million in fees proposed by Governor McAuliffe
- Rejects Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion
- Restores 94% of cuts to higher education adopted by the supplemental budget
- Gives an extra $60 million to K-12 education
- Provides $132.9 million for the healthcare safety net
Click here to watch my brief floor speech on the budget bill (HB 1400).
For more in-depth information on the budget, here are a few links you may find interesting: