On Saturday, the newly combined West Springfield and Burke Rotary Clubs cleaned up trash on the Fairfax County Parkway, and I joined them to help out. (No, it was not court-ordered! We were just doing it because this is one of the Rotary’s local philanthropic projects.)
I have probably done almost 100 volunteer trash pickups, and every time I do it, this question comes to mind: What kind of person throws trash out of a car window? I don’t get it.
Here is a list of the things I had to pick up:
- Cigarettes, cigarettes, cigarettes (So, these cigarettes are so wonderful that people suck them into their lungs, but are so smelly and disgusting that the leftover butts can’t stay in the car?)
- Aluminum soda cans
- Beer bottles
- Fast food meal bags
- An American flag
- A medical face mask
- Frozen dinner packages
- An empty airline bottle of liquor (I guess this person did not know drunk driving was against the law)
- A “Vote for Meals Tax” road sign (I guess this person did not know that Supervisor Herrity and I made road signs illegal about five years ago)
- A Pittsburg Steelers flag (A Redskins fan would never litter)
- Halloween candy wrappers
- A spit-filled water bottle with leftover chewing tobacco slime
- Latex gloves
- A box of fine wine (It probably wasn’t Châteauneuf-du-Pape, or have a Wine Spectator rating of 95)
- A used adult diaper (I am not kidding)
I’m sorry to vent, but I just don’t get it. Maybe a reminder is in order here. Most people don’t know littering is a Class 1 misdemeanor, and that there are judges in Fairfax County who will literally send people to jail for it.
Thanks to the West Springfield and Burke Rotary members! You all help make Springfield the best place to live. Here’s a photo of me working with Ann Burton and Ed Robertson.